Top Home Security Tips
How secure is your home? Most homeowners take their security for granted. Read the extract below for some home security tips.
Conduct a Stress Test
The primary purpose of a stress test is to examine the vulnerability of your home to various security threats. For instance, how secure are your entry points? Check the door hinges and locks. Inspect your garage door for rusted tracks, cracked rollers and faulty pulleys. Check your fence for holes that may be exploited by criminals or wild animals.
How fast can you escape your home in case of fire or a burglary attack? Your home should have an emergency door. Additionally, you must effect an emergency plan detailing how family members should leave the various rooms and where they should assemble. You should also consider emergency ladders to be used by people on the upper floors.
Home Security Systems
Exterior lighting is one of the easiest ways to deter criminals from accessing your property. Install security and landscape lighting to illuminate your property at night. CCTV cameras should be strategically located along the perimeter and entry points such as the front door and your gate. Preferably, choose a system with a remote access feature that allows you to access the footage using your mobile phone or tablet.
Restricted access systems include key cards, digital keypads and fingerprint scanners that you install on your front door, gate or garage doors to prohibit unauthorised people from accessing your home. The systems are often combined with home alarms to make it difficult for people to manipulate the system. If a person makes three unsuccessful attempts, the alarm goes off and sends a signal to your security company. You should also consider a fire alarm system and fire extinguishers to prevent damage caused by fires. You can contact a security company to learn more about home security systems.
Adopting a Culture of Safety
Your family members must be mindful of their security. Below are a few tips:
- Do not leave the spare key in obvious spaces such as under the doormat or in the flower pot.
- Teach your kids how to use the restricted access system. If the system malfunctions, ask them to call you immediately.
- Know when to activate motion detectors. For instance, if you have pets in your compound, they could easily activate the system.
- Change the house locks if you lose your keys.
- Have a good relationship with your neighbours. They are the first people to respond to fires and robberies. Besides, they could warn you when someone tries to access your home.
Improving your home security is now easy with the above tips. Conduct a stress test, consider home security systems and adopt a culture of safety.